Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Golden Rule


You've heard of the Golden Rule, right? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Jesus said it in Luke 6:31.

If you look at the saying in context, Jesus was talking about loving your enemy. Seriously, look at Luke 6:27-36.

We don't normally think of the Golden Rule that way. We think of it as what we should do when we're walking down the street minding our own business. But He didn't say "Do unto others….so long as they're being nice to you." Or, "Do unto others…so long as they need your help."

He said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Period. End of sentence.

It wasn't long after I finished drafting these thoughts that I had another stressful encounter with a person I deeply distrust. I saw an email from them, reflexively assumed a negative motive, and responded with condescending disrespect.

"Arrgh!" prayed, when I was able to get some breathing room. Why do I keep doing this, despite being committed to forgiving them?

God reminded me of what I just told you.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Period. End of sentence.

It doesn't matter what they've done to me. Or what I think they've done to me. Or what they're doing at this moment*. Regardless of actual or perceived motive, we need to treat others with the respect we want.

That's what I need to get through my thick skull. It doesn't matter why someone does or says. I need to respond how I would like to be treated.

Period. End of Sentence.


*And no, this does not mean if someone is beating you, you should take it. But it does mean that as you're moving to safety, you pray for them. Good things for them (Luke 6:28).


No comments:

Post a Comment