Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A New Religion?


So. Some folks are reading Steve Job's biography as a management text. S'all good. They're taking the time to understand his philosophy, thinking about how it might (or might not) apply to their company. I don't doubt the resulting insights could change a corporate culture for the better.

But copying the way he talked? How he dressed? A posthumous rabbinification* of Mr. Jobs may not be the best means to an end of improved profits.

I'm sure at least five others have said it better than I'm about to, but

my goodness. Steve Jobs isn't your Messiah.



*Yes, this particular word I made up. In the first century, and in many Orthodox Jewish communities today, students of a rabbi copied everything he did – how he wore his hair, what he wore, what he ate. They even married the same type of woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment