Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Hard Work: Embracing Political Differences

Some of my Christian siblings revealed themselves to be vitriolic Republican partisan political conservatives on social media. Liberal thought is mock-worthy; Democrats are evil demons.

Because of what and how they post, I feel unsafe around them. They seem to exemplify a prejudicial preference that precludes acknowledging or listening to a different point of view. I have the impression they think those with dissimilar political views are of little value.

Because of what and how they post, I pause. Am I guilty of doing what they do? Do I present myself on social media as blind to the humanity of those who do not share my political leanings? Am I prejudicially preferential to the exclusion of others?

That is not who I want to be. I don't want to be a person who is automatically contemptuous towards someone with different political views. I don't want to be a person who sees labels as ideological monoliths. Political conservatives come in many stripes, as do political liberals. I want to welcome civil discourse, not contribute to rancorous polemics. I want to invite reasonable discussion, not participate in meaningless argument.

This is part of the hard work.

Christian siblings, remember that in the family, we have different ideas about which means are best for achieving an end. Let us not be divided by our politics, but rather, let us listen to our siblings with different ideas, acknowledge their value as people and seekers of God's will, and work towards finding practical and meaningful solutions to the problems our communities face.


If all you have to offer are sound bites, platitudes and criticism, sit down. Hush. Stop making it difficult for those of us who are willing to do the hard work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment